Monday, May 26, 2014

Buckle up

Well, here we are.  The night before the big day, the marathon surgery, the second leg of the Shelly-fights-cancer triathlon. The last night of having cancer in my body!  It's been a day filled with wonderful moments, nervous sighs and deep breaths, and grateful reflection.

Leading up to this day, and throughout today, there have been many, many silver linings, lots of wonderful time with friends and family.  

Lots of walks, like this one with Catherine and Michelle, two great friends:


Great chats over meals, like this lunch with Leya:


And of course I forgot to take pictures on many other occasions, which doesn't mean they are any less meaningful.  Just that the chemo fog is still in effect.  Or at least that's my story!  We had a fantastic Austin family spring birthday gathering, lunch with dear friends at a new taco spot in our neighborhood, another lunch with a sweet survivor friend from college, and an impromptu casual family dinner at our house with close friends when we were rained out of the pool.  I felt so fortunate to be able to visit with so many of those who are dear to me and who have been amazing sources of support and strength over the past months (and in some cases years!). It did feel like I was saying farewell for a year rather than three weeks at times, but it's a pretty major milestone to undergo tomorrow and one from which I will emerge transformed.

I was sad to drop off our dogs at the kennel, although they bounded in with their tails wagging (clearly they were preserving their energy on the drive over, as seen below). They love Dogtown! 



After church and doggy drop off yesterday, we came down to Houston.  We had another fantastic family gathering at Caracol. Thank you to my mom and dad for organizing and to everyone for coming out to a fun dinner.




David's parents got everyone whistles, based on a beautiful and poignant story of a man who whistled while he worked in his garden. When asked why he always whistled, the man remarked that this was the way his blind wife would always know where he was and that he hadn't gone far from her.  The whistles represent that we can always call upon each other within the family.  This is so utterly true, and has been evident throughout this process, so I absolutely appreciated the sentiment.  


And so did the kids....


The much discussed lift chair arrived at my in-laws house today. This will be key to a comfortable home recovery once I leave the hospital.  Thank you to Janise for supplying this wonderful device!


And no people, it's not a toy!  For the hundredth time!  I'm talking to you too, David!


We really had a great low key day.  I walked Memorial trail, which was fitting on Memorial Day.  I had plenty of time to reflect on the people in my family who have served our country and how much gratitude I have for them and for all who have served our country.  I am so thankful to live here and for the innumerable sacrifices that have been made.  It was not only a healthy way to start this day, but also one that put a lot of things in perspective.

Lorne led us on a "dry run" to the hospital which was so helpful and brought me a lot of peace, knowing exactly where we are going. It helped to go on a holiday, when the hospital was pretty much deserted.  After lunch and errands, we had a very delicious and low key dinner with David's parents and my parents.  My dad cooked a delicious and healthy meal, which we all thoroughly enjoyed.  I even helped myself to seconds, knowing it will be awhile before I eat again.

Now, the kids are in bed, I've taken all my "night before" meds and we are calming down for the big day ahead.  It's been a surprisingly relaxed and peaceful day. I'm hoping to continue the peaceful feelings tomorrow, to whatever extent is possible.  

As part of the work I've been doing to prepare, I will be drawing comfort from your support.  In particular, the author of one of the meditations and surgery preparation books I've read recommends specifically asking for prayers, good vibes and positive energy to be sent at a certain time.  I humbly request your healing prayers and thoughts tomorrow morning.  I am guessing I will be heading into surgery between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m., and the surgery will last 10-12 hours.  If you are able to send up a prayer for my surgery, my family and my medical team at any time tomorrow, I truly believe it will not only make a difference, but that I will also feel the power and comfort of your support, and it will help in my healing.

I won't fib, it was very hard to say goodnight to these two, knowing it will be several days before I see them. But it's a necessary absence, ensuring that I can spend many, many more healthy days and nights with them.


See you on the flip side, sweet Team Shelly members.  I love and appreciate you all!

(Someone will post an update tomorrow night....either David or Ashley)














4 comments:

  1. Love you so much and you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers to you and your family all day and everyday!!!!!!

    XOXO,
    SHannon O

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying for you, especially today. Love, happiness and a strong speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete