Sunday, February 16, 2014

Wise words

As I move through the recovery from round 3, I don't have much of note to share personally. I've mentioned it before and will again--it's a slow process.  But I know I will bounce back and get more energy soon.  In the meantime, I wanted to share (with permission) an email below that David and I received from Father Robby Vickery, the Rector of our church, St. Michael's Episcopal Church. I appreciated how he was able to illustrate an interesting parallel between how we approach my treatment (at least our mindset) to St. Michael. Although I'm perhaps "trudging" more than "trampling" at the moment...hey, I will take it!  Hope you are all well.

Shelly & David,

I love David's expression.  The most common artistic rendering of St. Michael (out of the Book of Revelation that I mentioned to you during the home visit) is of him riding/trampling the devil in defeat of all that is evil (and that includes breast cancer).  I hope the picture comes through below that I attached.  A similar victory is shown in the sculpture of St. Michael that either resides in front of our pulpit or the table to hold the bread and wine in the back.

You abide in my prayers.

Robby


St. Michael, the Archangel

3 comments:

  1. Shelly - continuing to pray for you! My mom sent this to me recently and I hope you might find some encouragement from it....I especially like the line "God will bury you in his arms" and the image it brings to mind.

    From St. Francis de Sales "Be at peace...Do not look forward in fear to the
    changes of life; rather look to them with full hope as they arise. God,
    whose very own you are, will deliver you from out of them. He has kept you
    hitherto, and He will lead you safely through all things; and when you
    cannot stand it, God will bury you in his arms. Do not fear what may happen
    tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care
    of you then and every day. He will either shield you from suffering, or will
    give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at Peace and put aside all
    anxious thoughts and imaginations."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the imagery of the angel battling the devil and of course we know the angel of the Lord will triumph; just as you shall triumph very soon. Rest and take care, my prayers continue for you for health and healing. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. this jew really liked "you abide in my prayers". maybe because it reminds me of the "the big lebowski" (sorry father!") . anyway, thinking of you and i hope your good days are more often than your bad days! xo and barney sends a lick. robbin

    ReplyDelete