Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The new normal

Life is certainly full of changes and adjustments, and this new journey has been no different.  I am feeling pretty good physically but get extremely fatigued.  All of a sudden, it feels as if I am made of lead and I literally cannot move at a normal speed.  So, I am incorporating long, restful naps into my daily routine.  And honestly, I really can't complain about that!  I think slowing down, letting my body heal and rest, and taking time to be thankful for everything in my life is a positive change.  During the past few weeks, besides hearing the scary C word and grappling with all the unknowns associated with it, I have actually noticed a lot of positive changes.  I have also noticed they generally fall into one of two categories in my mind: silver linings or major blessings. For example, silver lining = getting to lay down and take a nap every day.  Major blessing = having family and friends that will come to me and watch my kids so I can take that healing time for myself.

It's not a stretch to say I was rushing around too much, hurrying from one thing to another and always overbooking myself in recent weeks.  In many ways, it is a gift to myself to clear my schedule, take plenty of down time and focus on my health and my family.  There really isn't any other choice, so it is nice that it brings me relief.

David and I have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of prayers, love, support, and help we have received recently.  It is humbling to have so many people willing to lift you up, willing to lend a hand, willing to step in.  We love you all so much, and it is not an exaggeration to say that we feel all of this support and love wrapping around us and helping us on a daily basis. We really would not have the positive attitude to face this challenge without all of you!  xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Take as many naps as you need to kick cancers butt!
    Love you!
    Steph ⚓

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you dearly, Shell - and I just know you will be victorious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From San Antonio, following you on your remarkable journal and journey, inspiring for many of us, but positively you will be at the end a winner. So you are in my prayers and special candles in your name will be lighted in your name. M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and it's great that you have everyone around you to be able to take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your wonderful attitude, Shelly. It really lifts my spirits and reminds me of the sweet, thoughtful things you've always done for me and for others. Karma is on your side in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can put up with David, this will be a piece of cake! You all are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading your blog and seeing your sweet and positive attitude about all this. If you can hold on to this positive spirit, you will be a winner- not only will you kick cancer's butt, but you will inspire a lot of people for good on the way. You have reminded all of us to evaluate how we spend our time and what is really important in our lives- family, friends, giving service to others, taking care of ourselves and having hope and faith in God. Thank you so much for sharing. with love, jolene ward

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Shelly and know you'll beat this.

    ReplyDelete